Dominic LeBlanc left eight hours of talks with US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer on Friday evening without a completed agreement, telling reporters that negotiators would work through the night to meet a midnight deadline set by the Trump administration.
Without a deal, a fresh wave of US tariffs on Canadian goods takes effect. Details leaked before the deadline suggest the US would reduce steel and aluminium tariffs from 50% to 25%, and automobile tariffs from 25% to 15%. Canada, in exchange, would remove retaliatory tariffs and consider expanded access for American dairy producers.
Trump told reporters the talks were "moving along" but declined to confirm whether an agreement had been reached. Opposition leader Pierre Poilievre called any arrangement that leaves one-sided tariffs on Canadian industry "a bad deal," and Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said Canada should not rush concessions.